President Trump on Friday made the final decision to pardon Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Arpaio age 85 lost the recent 2016 election after holding the office Maricopa County Sheriff for 24 years.
District Judge Susan Bolton, who ruled that Arpaio knowingly violated an injunction stating Latino motorists could not be stopped or detained, based alone on the assumption that they may be in the United States illegally. His conviction was largely in part of the Sheriffs own public statement, there were 20 quotes cited in the judge’s ruling. After his conviction Arpaio faced up to 6 months in jail which was to start on October 5th.
- Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio pardoned by Trump on Monday.
- Arpaio was in office for 24 years until the 2016 election.
- District Judge Susan Bolton ruled Arpaio violated an injunction from 2011.
- Injunction stated Latinos could not be stopped or detained solely on suspicion of illegal immigration.
- Public statements Arpaio made were a large contributing factor to his conviction.
- Arpaio was sentenced to 6 months in jail and a fine.
- His sentence was scheduled to begin on October 5th.
A House Divided…
|The Left||The Right|
|“after the racism and hate in Charlottesville, our country needs to come,together and heal. But that healing will not come from a president who,only exploits divisions and fears”
-Sen.Patrick Leahy (D), Vermont
|“While no one can dispute Manning acted to
undermine our country’s national security,
Joe Arpaio has spent a lifetime trying to maintain it.
It is easy to discern that Arpaio is a patriot,
while Manning is a traitor.”
-Rep. Trent Franks (R), Arizona 8th District
|“With pardon, Trump has rewarded Arpaio for trashing the Constitution, and slapped federal judiciary in the face.”
-Paul Callan, CNN
|“Law enforcement officials have a special responsibility to respect the rights of everyone
in the United States.”
-Doug Andres, a spokesman for Paul Ryan (R), Speaker of the House
|“Pardoning Joe Arpaio is a slap in the face
to the people of Maricopa County, especially the Latino community,and those he victimized as he systematically and illegally violated,their civil rights.”
-Mayor Greg Stanton (D), Phoenix, AZ
|“President Trump fired back Monday at critics of his decision to pardon, former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, claiming the clemency decisions made by his,two most recent Democratic predecessors were far more problematic.”
1. Referring to past pardons by both President Obama and Clinton; Including Chelsea Manning (Obama), Oscar Lopez Rivera (Obama), and Marc Rich (Clinton).